January 26, 2007

An opening note.

The first photograph I ever took was a mistake. I found my mom's 110 camera at the edge of the kitchen counter when I was real little, so little in fact that I never could get it down from its perch. Enough height worked in my favor, however, and I accidentally hit the button and snapped a picture of the counter. My mother witnessed the whole thing and when she got the film back from having it developed she made a big deal to point out that I took that particular picture before she put it in the photo album. I only had maybe four years of life under my belt so I had no idea what the significance was but just a few years later my parents gave me my first camera (a new 110, it was a lime green Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle camera that superimposed little watermarks of Michaelangelo at the bottom right of every picture...if you're a child of the late 80's/early 90's then give a shout out if you remember that particular piece of Turtle power!) I had shoved that one in a box after a year of using it and forgot all about it, but the hobby of photography carried on.

When I graduated 8th grade my parents bought me my Nikon N50. It's seen more than it's fair share of travel and accidents. It's scratched, dinged, chipped to hell but it works like it's fresh from the camera shop still and hasn't let me down yet. When digital broke big I eventually picked up a lame Vivitar point and shoot to see how I liked the medium. That led to a Nikon Coolpix 3100 and now my Pentax Optio S6. Some people scoff at the little cameras but when money's tight dropping 2-300 on something the size of a deck of cards is nothing to sneeze at. It's a beautiful little trump card and until I'm able to afford the next step up (to a Nikon D model, of course...I may shoot with a Pentax but my heart lies with Nikon) it's my primary weapon when I'm on the go and need speed.

Photography was part of the graphic arts course I took back in high school, so I spent the better part of that time period working in black and white and developing pieces on my own after hours. When I got into college the first order of business was taking a proper class in hopes of getting a minor in photo journalism (college never panned out, but I did get a certificate of completion as a Film Critic!).

For the better part of 20 years I've been composing, shooting, or developing photographs, all without serious thought as a possible career until summer of '06 after curiosity pulled me into many of the local galleries to see what was going on. Once it occurred to me that there was indeed a market for my kind of style it only became 100% forward momentum from there.

So this is my self-representation. If you're a passer-through then take a moment to leave a comment with your thoughts and suggestions. If you're a gallery owner/operator/curator then chances are good I've pointed you in this direction; I can only hope you like what's displayed here or on my Flickr page, the companion to this corner of the internet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.