January 27, 2007

Shoesies.

Currently this is my favorite photograph out of any others that I've taken. Of course that list changes frequently but for the time being I'm most proud of this.

Midweek Snowshoeing.

A day's worth of stratus clouds finally started breaking up just in time for the wanning sun to peak through during my first ice fishing venture of the season. There was no clever posing of inanimate objects here, my snow shoes and poles just happened to be in a good spot.

I dropped the exposure down to 1/1000 (also, it's a f4.3 aperture) and used a Rokinon 0.45x Wide Angle to get the most out of the shot without having to drown the subject in a field of unwanted landscape were I forced to back up to get the framing without the use of that handy little lens. This is where I would add a link regarding this particular type of lens but unfortunately I can't track anything down. All I can tell you is I picked it up at Meijer (it's a chain department store like Wal-Mart here in the general Great Lakes region, for those of you who "don' know nuttin'") for around $50. It's a three piece system. A ring fastens to the existing lens of your camera which the metal two-piece accessory holds on to magnetically. The lens itself is comprised of two units: the macro and the wide angle. The macro is the base lens and it works beautifully. It's threaded so you can screw the other lens unit on and both work together as wide angle. As I said, it's a handy piece of equipment; my fear is losing it because of it's size and if the lens is attached to the camera you have to be ginger with the whole set up as the magnet doesn't hold as well out in the cold than if you're using it indoors.

No comments: